A move to AWS is an opportunity — one that you’re not going to get again for a long time. Lifting and shifting what you already have will only waste it.
When we take our first look at how to migrate a customer’s applications to AWS, we start with the business questions:
- Which cloud platform provides the best benefits to reach my goals?
- How do I know if my legacy or planned application is viable in the cloud?
- What are the financial considerations for going to the cloud? How can I afford it?
- What are some business operations changes and challenges with the cloud?
- What effects does cloud adoption have on security and compliance?
If we ask you what you have, you may tell us you have 402 servers to move. If we know what problems you’re trying to solve, we can tell you it will only take 134. That’s not a hypothetical scenario — that was 66% savings for a real client. It happens all the time.
AWS assessments take time.
That’s not what anyone wants to hear. Yes, we may ask you to spend three months on an up-front cloud assessment, but we may be able to start your migration shortly after we begin the assessment. In either case, spending three months now to shave a year off the total AWS cloud migration time? Now that’s just good math.
AWS isn’t the cure. Discovery is.
We would love to tell you a move to AWS will make you money. It might not.
Sometimes it saves on soft costs: the people who were assigned to on-prem infrastructure support who can now do other things. Sometimes it’s more expensive, but it works so much better that it’s ROI-positive. That’s why we also focus on uncovering the business problems first.
See a pre-migration cloud assessment
Finding the right cloud migration strategy
If you ask Amazon for a solution, you’ll get an AWS-branded hammer. If you ask SCTG, we’ll open up the whole toolbox.
Our structured pre-migration cloud assessment covers:
- Core infrastructure
- Networking and security
- Overall business and IT governance considerations
- Cost containment considerations
- Security and compliance requirements
That way, we can find the tools, technologies and approach that works best for your business.